05 September 2006

The ants

Every day in my bathroom I have ants. Two ants. No more than two, but always two. They are always traveling across the floor, in some type of cover formation I'm sure, coming from a secret location that I cannot find and going who knows where. Every day I squish the ants with toilet paper, throw the paper away and wash my hands. Every day. Owen watches me do this. And the next day two more are there, diligently trying to cross the floor, as if the queen ant has sent them in to find the ones from the day before and the day before that.

For about the past week or so I have noticed that the two ants are gone. I don't see them, and being pregnant I spend an awful lot of time in the bathroom, so I have lots of chances to look. Out of the blue, after months of seeing them each day, they are gone. I wondered about this briefly, but then decided there are more important things to contemplate, like where the light in the room goes when you turn off the light switch.

This weekend I was going to go to the bathroom and Owen saw me on my way. He yelled "NO MOMMY! ANTS!" I told him that no, the ants were gone now. He shook his head and rushed in ahead of me and started looking around on the floor. Suddenly he clapped, pointed and screamed "TWO ANTS!" I looked and sure enough, there they were again. I went to get some toilet paper and Owen said "No, O do it!!" He then proceeded to bend down, squish both ants WITH HIT BARE FINGERS, lift up the toilet lid and RINSE HIS HANDS OFF IN THE POTTY and then he dried them off ON MY TOWEL.

It took about one tenth of a second for me to realize that he has been doing this every day FOR A WEEK. Killing ants with his bare hands, washing his hands in the toilet and drying them on my towel...the towel that even Scott is not allowed to touch. Honestly I don't know which part of all this bothers me the worst.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Uncle Tom- Somethings are better not known. Have you thought about asking him anything regarding your toothbrush?