26 September 2006

Ding-Dong

This afternoon I was minding my own business when the doorbell rang. I answered the door and saw a lady standing there with her teenage son. She smiled and asked me if I was the "mother of the house", and I told her yes.

All of a sudden her smile faded and she stepped towards me and started yelling "Well, I want you to know your son just picked a fight with my son when they were getting off the school bus." I was a little caught off guard so I turned around to make sure Owen was in fact 2 years old and I hadn't just shot forward through time 14 years. He was standing there so I turned back around and said "Ma'am, I think" and she held up her finger and screamed "I'm still talking!!!" I stood there for another few seconds and then tried again to stop her and she screamed "I'm not finished!!!" I listened to her yell about fighting and disregard for other people and bullies and finally I decided this could go on all night so I raised my voice and said "Ma'am, my son is TWO!" and turned and pointed at him for good measure. Owen, ever ready to oblige, held up two fingers, smiled broadly and said "O two!"

The woman immediately stopped and looked at her son, who had been standing there quietly the entire time. "Oh" he said "I guess they moved or something."

I mean...What the hell?

So I said "Are you looking for the Watsons?" and they said yes. So, just to be sure, I said (and I am not being racist here, I was merely trying to prove a point) "You are looking for the black family who used to live here?" and they said yes. I told them where they had moved to and the woman apologized for yelling at me.

All in all, an interesting event. But still...What the hell?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy crap. I hope you slammed the door in her face...for REALLY good measure.

Becky

Thompson Family said...

HAAAAAAAA! That's the funniest thing I've read in a long time. Sorry it happened to you but it's pretty darn funny. :-)