26 January 2008

Cat sighting

After about 4 days under my bed, Jet has decided to join us. Monday he made his first daytime appearance, and every day since he's spent more and more time around us all, except for Scott, who he continues to avoid like the plague. But I can't say I blame him, as Scott does not care for cats in the least, cannot even pretend to like cats for my benefit, cannot even try to pretend. In this picture you can kind of see where Jet was shaved from about mid-back down. Though it is growing back in quite nicely, it sort of resembles a reverse mullet.












Here's where the story gets a little complicated. I didn't think Jet was going to make it. I was seriously afraid he was going to starve himself to death in protest of living with us and I was planning on taking him back. So last Sunday the girls and I went to an animal rescue place in Vancourt, Texas. I can't even begin to explain the circumstances the animals were living in at her house, but simply put there were 31 cats and 57 dogs-I am NOT EVEN LYING-living in this tiny filthy house with this filthy lady. It's kind of a situation where I feel like if someone called animal services this place would be shut down due to cruelty to animals. The house was beyond horrid, with crushed litter, animal poop, food, and pee-covered newspapers all over the floors. There were pens made of chicken wire in the living room filled with dogs covered in dirt and poop. Bags of cat food were spread out on the floor and the cats had chewed holes in the bags and were eating out of them. Water bowls looked like they hadn't been changed in months. Bags of litter were stacked in random places and those had been clawed through also and cats had just pooped on what had leaked out of the holes. There was cat throw-up and poop on the counters in the kitchen. If I had not saved at least one animal from that house I think God would have struck me down as I drove away. And if it sounds bad to you, believe me, it was SO MUCH WORSE.

So anyway, much to Scott's dismay, we now also have a kitten named Dixie.

2 comments:

lucinda said...

I'm confused. Do you have 2 new cats?
Your ultra vivid description of that place made me want to puke. I can smell it just thinking about it.

Amy said...

You probably should not have told me the name of that town. Now I am going to have to spend next weekend looking for that house so that I can save an animal. And it isn't like we have enough animals around here!

(you did the right thing ... God will surely reward you ... right?!?!)