13 July 2007

The Chore Charts

Since we've been back from vacation I've implemented the dreaded "chore chart" around here. I'm a little miffed that we go to other people's houses and the kids make a huge mess and then clean it up immediately but here at our house crap piles up to the point where you can't shut the doors to their rooms. The girls each have seven things they have to do daily and Owen has six. Once they reach 200 stars they can choose between going to a movie and going to Mr. Gatti's. I have already preached about how they have to choose the same reward, because otherwise Ashlyn is smart enough to talk Haley into picking one while she picks the other so then they get two rewards. Plus, if they choose the same thing then I only have to leave the house will all of them one time. Owen's choice does not matter because even though his goal is 175 stars he is never, never going to get there.

Ashlyn's chart includes
1. brush my hair
2. brush my teeth
3. make my bed
4. put up my dirty clothes
5. clean my room
6. clean living room
7. clean bathroom

Haley's chart is exactly the same until you get to number 6:
6. clean den
7. scoop litter box

Owen's chart is exactly the same until number 6 also:
6. get Sally food and water

The girls are at 100% right now for their stars. The problem is with Owen. Owen is at 50%. The first day he only got two stars and the dog did not get any food or water until I got it for her (the cat has an automatic feeder so he's good). Owen also feels like he needs to get a star every time he brushes his teeth instead of just one for the day. And this is a good move on his part since he brushes his teeth on average of 12 times a day, leading me to worry a little bit about all the flouride he may be ingesting. It is because of all his teeth brushing that Ashlyn has #7 clean the bathroom which basically means clean out all the toothpaste Owen gets in the sink. The reason Owen is up to 50% is because Ashlyn has taken it upon herself to make sure everyone gets the maximum number of stars they can get. I also have to add that it was a stroke of pure genius to add the litter box one onto Haley's list. If you read all the lists carefully you will see that after all the delegating of work there is nothing left for me to do around here except keep up with the baby and occasionally pick my butt.

And people feel sorry for me for having all these kids...

No comments: