16 July 2007

Pillowcase Dresses

While we were home my sister-in-law Tera told me about a new thing people were doing now making dresses out of pillowcases. She wanted one for my niece, Sidney, so I looked it up on the internet to see how hard they were to make. It turns out they are very easy to do and this one took me about 20 minutes. I got the pillowcase off ebay for 2.99 and the ribbon was 1.99. These dresses are actually selling for over $30 on the internet!

I made the dress to fit a 4 year old and had Haley try it on for a picture so Tera could see it and Haley loved it so much she wanted to keep it. I think they would make a cute shirt for her! I was thinking about taking a solid color and putting a striped ribbon around it a couple of inches up from the bottom and using the same ribbon for the ties at the top. I also want to try to embroider one somehow. I may go to Ross if Scott tonight gets home at a decent hour. They always have all different kinds of pillowcases for pretty cheap there.

3 comments:

Brian Bojo said...

I saw some made with bandanas. They were really cute. I guess they just bought two of the same color and sewed it together on the sides. Will you make Mary Kate one for her birthday?

Anonymous said...

That is really cute! Does it matter what kind of ribbon you use? Maybe if I ever get household goods I can make some for Arden.

Anonymous said...

That's adorable, Jennifer!
--Amber's Mommy ;)