05 December 2007

T-minus 6 months

Scott's change of command will be between June 7th and June 17th, 2008. The Army Ball is on the 7th, and they won't let us leave before that, because let's face it, I'm the life of the party at the Army Ball, and the Colonel changes command on the 17th, so ours is inbetween those two dates.

Other than that we have no plan. No assignment. No orders. Nothing. He wanted to go to Tampa, but it turns out there's only 1 slot for a Captain there and it may not even be open. Yesterday he printed off a list of the available jobs for Captains and let me tell you, it's bad. The majority of the list is unaccompanied tours in Kuwait, which is a nice way of saying Iraq. There are some in Hawaii, but the schools are bad there so we don't want to go back with school age kids. There are 3 or so in Germany and some in Istanbul, Turkey, but after watching what Amber went through to get to Italy, um, No. Then you've got New York, D.C., California, Washington state, Alaska, a bunch in Korea, and it just gets even worse from there.

I'm about ready to say aw, screw it, let's go overseas to Germany, because nothing on the list is going to make my family happy and we have no control over the list, so if people are going to be mad at us for living far away we might as well go as far as possible. With the selection this poor, it's going to have to be just about what's best for his career, I guess, instead of where we want to live, so we'll see. But again, it's pretty bad. I could not believe there was not one single slot to Ft. Bragg, NC. I'm trying to think back to when you didn't get to choose, you were just handed an assignment and if you didn't like it, well, it was just too bad, you sucked it up and went anyway.

Somehow that's not making me feel any better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK, well I'm going to vote for Germany. And I know my vote counts for something. Yes getting to Italy was a giant pain, but we didn't have a sponsor and we didn't know anyone here. You all know people over here. And, Germany is much easier than Italy. Much easier. So I say put in for Germany and start getting passports because that will take awhile. Put a little culture in your lives. And DOD schools are going to be way better. And you know there are things over here you wanna see. Like me.