28 March 2007

The proof is in the potty

After months of peeing in the potty Owen has finally given in and gone and pooped in it too. All this time he has been saying there is "no way" he was going to poop in the potty but Sunday it all changed. He was sitting on his potty playing with a toy when all of a sudden he jumped up with a confused look on his face and looked into the potty, pointed and hollered "There's POOP in there!" like he had no idea whatsoever how it possibly got there.

He has continued to poop in the potty ever since and we are oh-so-glad about it. It does seem to be a slow process though...I mean, he doesn't go in there and sit down and immediately poop, he goes in and sits down and sings songs or talks to himself until finally he finishes up.

So I was happy and I was proud and I was bragging and then I actually sat and listened to what he was saying as he was sitting on the potty. It could be worse, I suppose he could be talking about poop using the more widely known term, but instead he was babbling up a storm: "I don't say dammit. Mommy says dammit is a bad bad word. If I say dammit I get in big trouble, so I don't say dammit. Not ever. I never never say dammit. That's a bad word. Yes sir, dammit is a very bad word, so Owen will never say dammit."

This is a little bad, I know, but I'm learning to pick my battles and this is just one I dont' want to fight. He obviously knows it's a bad word and he never says it unless he's on the potty so what harm could it do? Plus, by him stating over and over in his monologue that it's a bad word I probably would never be embarrassed by him if it happened in public. And no one else would be embarrassed either. I mean, it would be fine, right? Not like the time the little girl in Haley's preschool class told all of us that her mommy and daddy took showers together to save water.

I think I'll be just fine with the dammit thing.

7 comments:

Becky said...

I agree with you that dammit in the bathroom is just fine. Patrick also goes in the bathroom to say his "potty" words. My thinking is, the more time he's repeating his mantra in the bathroom, the less time he has to torture Skylar, right?

Also, regarding the post below, there's a new thing out called a Bumbo chair or something like that. It enables babies to sit upright as soon as they can support their head. They didn't have them when Ben was little, but I think they look awesome.

Jennifer said...

Yeah, you're right, as long as he's in the bathroom he's not messing with Skylar.

Oh, and we have a bumbo. It's purple. Skylar doesn't like it.

Becky said...

Oh. Bummer.

Midge said...

I think Skylar is taking being a "Star" to heart. I have noticed that whenever she is 100% the center of attention she is quite, but the moment she feels that she is not- the screaming begins. LOL

Midge said...

Okay, so I posted to the wrong damn post. There, I have supported Owen with his potty vocabulary. LOL

Anonymous said...

i am so freaking jealous of your pooping and peeing in the toilet kid, it ain't even funny. i have potty envy from hell. how did you get him to do it??!! what is wrong with me!! ahhhhhhhhhhh! damnit all to heeeeeeeeeell!

Anonymous said...

i mean, "what is wrong with Joe"? no me. i poop and pee in the toilet just fine. just wanted to clear that up in case their was any confusion here. :)