12 October 2007

The walking thing

This past weekend we bought Haley a new bike, because her other bike was Ashlyn's old bike that Pops bought in 2004 right after we moved back home during Scott's deployment to Afghanistan. Needless to say, that bike had seen much, much better days and it was time to retire her. We went to WalMart, which is a great place to buy bikes, because they are inexpensive there and you don't feel badly about when people leave them out in the rain to rust or behind your car for you to run over. Haley picked out an obnoxious 20" purple one with streamers and all other kinds of crap hanging off of it.

Sunday we went out to the KOA campground because they have a two mile loop and we thought it would be fun to let the kids ride while we walked with Skylar in the stroller. So out there you have little hill, little hill, small hill, gigantic hill, little hill, small hill, flat ground. Ashlyn got her bike out of the back of Scott's truck, rode it 3 feet, fell off, and was bleeding all over the place. Haley was doing fine until we got to the part of the trail that looks out over the water and she got to looking off the the side, kind of mesmerized by the sun shining off the surface, and she drove right off the side of the road and fell off and promptly started bleeding all over the place too. Owen rode about 1/10 of a mile and then got to the first little hill and decided he couldn't do it. Scott got a bungy cord and tied it to the front of the bike and pulled him up the hills, and let me tell you, this took a looong time.

Sunday night Scott went to Academy and bought this. Now they can all ride their bikes fast while Skylar and I walk and enjoy a quiet commune with nature. So we went Monday, because Scott was off work due to Columbus Day. Then Tuesday after Owen went to preschool Skylar and I went again, and on Thursday we went again. Plus we walked to school Monday to pick up the girls and we walked a couple of evenings this week. All total I have walked somewhere between 11 and 12 miles since Sunday.

Amy has come up with this hairbrained plan, and she wants me to join in. I just want to make it perfectly clear that I am not joining up! I'm already sure I'm going to have to scale back a little on this walking thing because I suffer from something called nasatal, and the more walking I do the more it aggravates my condition. Already after just this week I can tell a difference, and I've lost 4 pounds in the last two weeks, all from the region of my ass. Not good.

Quick update:
1. We still do not have an answer to the "Where are you moving to in June?" question.
2. The house across the street is still for sale.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I am thinking you should sign up for the challenge and make it to 100 miles by the end of the year. Maybe you can run up the small hill/big hill combinations and end up with that ghetto booty you seem to covet.