08 November 2007

Field Trip #2

Today Owen was scheduled to go on the second field trip of his short preschool career. The plan was to put all the 3 year olds on a bus and drive over to Fort Concho, where I'm betting not one single kid would understand what the heck anybody was talking about. However, without a doubt those people over at the "3 Rs Ranch" on Goodfellow AFB are striving for excellence, and totally believed the kids would fall in love with the whole historic experience. Owen did not fully comprehend where exactly they were going, and I would bet the farm if he had he would have refused to get on the bus, given what happened the last time we went to Fort Concho.

The bus carrying all the 3 year olds made it all the way off post before it broke down.

Somehow they got it started again and got to "you know, that place where they keep the buses, to try to switch to another one." That little gem of information came straight from Owen's teacher, word for word. I don't know why she didn't know the actual name of the place where they keep the buses, since there was probably a sign or two there, but before I could really wrap my head around the fact that Owen's teacher was so oblivious that she wasn't completely sure of where she was she told me that while they were "looking for another bus" the kids all went inside the place with no name and "watched cartoons on the little tv they had." At that point I really started to feel like I needed to count backwards from, oh, one thousand or so, while the level of stress in my body returned to a managable level and my eyesight fully returned.

It turns out they couldn't get another bus, so they put the kids back on the one that had just broken down and made it back to the preschool without further incident.

The good news is all the kids thought they went on a field trip to some place to watch cartoons.

And they absolutely loved it.

2 comments:

Amy said...

OMG! You are having one heck of a week with the schools around here.

lucinda said...

Holy crap... when I first opened your page and saw the Miles walked thing, the 56 jumped out and I thought you'd lost that much weight. I guess I was used to seeing the weight lost.

I'm not sure if I'd let these people take your only son on any more field trips. They sound kind of scarry,