23 November 2007

Not a fan, will never be a fan

My mother took me to the mall today shopping for the kids' Christmas presents.  I spent the majority of my time hiding out in the shoe department of JCPenney's fearing for my life.  I honestly do not understand how people can possibly enjoy going out on a day like today and fighting the crowds, just to save an extra 10% off a pair of $20 jeans.

Tonight we were watching the news and they were showing video taken this morning at Target.  It was a special report about just how much you can save by going out and getting run over by shopping buggies.  There was a girl in line paying for some item, I don't know what it was, but the reporter asked her how much money she was saving by being in line at 3am.  And this was her answer:

"Oh, gosh, this was only $80, and it's regularly $120.  So I'm saving, like, $60 or $70!  It's TOTALLY WORTH IT!"

People!  So this is why this shopping day is so appealing to so many of you?  Because you can't subtract?  And I bet her friends and family saw her on the news and called her and were all like "No, no, no, $120 minus $80 is $40, you saved $40."  

I wonder if it's still totally worth it after you look like a jackass on the local news?

2 comments:

Tina said...

Jen, I'm not a fan of this day either! But do you know what I did?! I found 3 Nintendo Wii's (earlier this month) and sat back and watched crazy people bid on them. I paid $250 for each and they sold for $450 each. In the famous words of Dr. Dre, "Today was a good day....."

lucinda said...

I hate black friday too. We stayed at home until later & the kids & I went to the mall to watch the remaining nuts and to eat some chic fil a. It's not worth it to me either.