19 August 2007

It's raining, it's pouring, and I'm making an insurance claim

Friday it rained. I may have mentioned it here. Saturday morning Skylar woke up at 7. I heard her on the monitor and got up to get her and stepped in a puddle. At first I thought "My gosh, Sally peed in the floor!" I wondered for a split second why she didn't wake us up if she had to go. Usually she will scratch at the door or put her face right beside yours and whine. Then I took another step and there was more water. I walked around the end of the bed and it was over the top of my feet. The entire house was flooded. Every bit of floor space was covered.


By 7:30 I had talked to our property manager, our landlord, USAA, and the really nice people over at A1 Reliable Carpet Care and Restoration. The water extraction team arrived about 9 and it's just too bad that the day didn't start to get any better at that point but still continued to go downhill. Our landlord does not have flood insurance. The carpet people needed money up front. They would not take the landlord's credit card over the phone. People were calling back and forth and long arguments ensued. Oh, and the water extraction team showed up wearing wranglers and cowboy boots.


About 4 hours later the water was mostly sucked up and the carpet and padding were all in the front yard. So we have lovely cement foundation floors now, which aren't too bad in that they are cool and it's hot here. All the furniture is in different places and rooms and I'm afraid Frosty is going to have a nervous breakdown very soon. We also have fans, huge fans that are loud and create a continuous 30 mph wind inside the house. To imagine the noise just imagine living inside an airplane hanger. That's the noise. We currently have 7 fans in the house.


The nice people from Reliable Carpet Care and Restoration came back today to check the moisture levels in the walls and found the walls are still saturated with water up to 10 inches in some places. Worst case scenerio would involve pulling off the baseboards to speed up the wall-drying process. They are bringing 12 more fans tomorrow. Oh, and I forgot to mention that the house smells really really badly. We are moving into guest housing at the Angelo Inn on Goodfellow tonight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's time for some Damp-Rid.