20 August 2007

The KLST Newsman

Today as I was sitting outside making an itemized list of our damaged stuff the KLST news van pulled up. A very dapper gentleman jumped out and another burly guy grabbed a huge camera and they both made a beeline right to me. Scott saw them coming and retreated quickly into the house but I was a little stuck. I politely declined an on-camera interview and then after he kept on begging for "just 5 minutes" I politely but firmly declined. About that time the trashmen came and the camera guy videoed them hauling away all our trash and Owen standing by the road sadly watching as they loaded both his Elmo chair and his rocking chair onto the truck.

Then the camera guy tried to talk to trashmen into picking up the carpet from the front yard and putting it on the truck too because that evidently would make for really good news and the poor guys tried and tried but the carpet was still soaked and they couldn't really move it. Scott came back out about this time and went down to tell the guys they didn't have to haul that away because the nice people from A1 Reliable Carpet Care and Restoration were coming back today with a trailer to get it and the camera man filmed all that too so we will probably end up on the news anyway.

By the way I must tell you all that one of my greatest fears is being the person they put on the news after some disaster. If you ever watch CNN after hurricanes, tornadoes, forest fires, etc. the people they put on never seem to be able to correctly conjugate verbs. And if they put me on the news, even though I have a college education, that would totally be me.

No comments: