20 April 2006

The eye doctor

On numerous occasions I have mentioned my lifelong dream to get LASIK eye surgery. I even have a LASIK fund. Unfortunately, several weeks ago I spent my fund on this, so I have been forced to start over. Anyway, earlier this week I noticed I was down to 10 contacts for each eye. I wear Focus Dailies, so I throw them away each night. They are expensive. It averages out to $1 a day, which could put a whole tribe of children through school in some underdeveloped nation somewhere, but I am blind, BLIND I tell you and I NEED those contacts. I usually buy through 1800contacts. NEVER AGAIN. These people have upset me. You get an email when you place your order and you get another one when they ship the contacts to you. I got the order confirmation and it said 'pending-estimated ship date 18 April'.

So I waited to get another email saying they had shipped as my supply was dwindling fast. This morning I called them. They never asked for my name OR order number, which makes me believe they have caller id. She just said Is this Jennifer? I said yes, and she verified my home phone number. Then she proceeded to tell me that my contact prescription was expired and they couldn't fill the order. So I asked (upsetedly) if anyone was going to let me know that, as I was down to 5 contacts. She told me that they had called and left a message. LIARS. They are liars. I said no, that no one had called me and I had no messages. So she told me that they might have called the wrong number. So I asked (pissedly) 'HOW? You just verified my home telephone number!' At that point she told me to get a new prescription and they would happily fill it. Hmmm...NO!

So I went to the eye doctor today and somehow I got talked into getting my eyes dilated. It's good for you, it checks for things, blah blah blah. I have always managed to get out of having this done before so today when she mentioned it I said Oh but I have to drive home. To which she said, Don't worry, you will have driving vision. And she was right, I could have driven home. I could have driven right off a cliff! I mean, crap! Is this what the eye doctor considers driving vision? You've got to be kidding me. I couldn't even see the car! I think I ate Kung Pao Chicken for lunch, but you know, I could be wrong about that. And it's a good thing we have a cordless keyboard because I'm having to sit about 15 feet from the monitor to see what I'm typing.

Bottom line: Do not get your eyes dilated.

Oh, and I asked about the prices for LASIK. It turns out that Dr. Wilson, who is recommended, will do it for $2200 per eye. But don't worry, she said, because they finance it. First of all, I'm not going to pay $2200 per eye for it and I'm sure not going to pay finance charges. The interest rate will probably be 18% or something stupid like that. So this has put a severe hurting on my plan to get LASIK.

I think I will have to switch my focus to the new Oasis HE.

No comments: