08 May 2006

The Great Escape

It seems to storm every night here, and aparently last night as we were all standing with the sliding glass door open admiring the non-stop lightning display Tigger ran out. Unfortunately we did not notice this until this morning, when I realized that he had not been following me around as he usually does. After Haley and I frantically searched every inch of the house, we decided he was truly gone.

By the time we got to preschool Haley was completely in tears and it only got worse as we walked into her classroom. I left her crying uncontrollably on her teacher's shoulder. Usually I visit with Amber in the mornings while Haley is at school and Arden and Owen play, but this morning Owen was being incredibly mean to Arden and I was worried about Tigger so we left to pick Haley up early and came home to look for the cat.

Shortly after we got home I checked the shed as Haley and Owen walked around yelling KITTY!. As we were going back inside we heard meows and followed them to the corner of the yard. We searched all through the huge pile of leaves on the ground and even peeked over the fence, fearing he had been injured by the dog next door and couldn't get back to our side. Finally we found him high in a tree right at the corner of the fence.

I cannot describe the relief I felt at finding the cat, and I am not on the best terms with him usually. Then I realized that Tigger was stuck and I would more than likely have to climb the tree to get him down. For a brief fleeting second I considered calling the fire department and then I considered calling Scott, and by this time Haley had already scaled up the fence and was attempting to climb up the tree, which brought flashes of E.R. E.R. E.R. to my mind. So I put on my Mommy Is Brave And Fixes Everything face and climbed up and got him down. He was pretty tangled up in the smaller branches and he was absolutely terrified.

When we got him back inside we fed him some cat food and cold water, and then he had some sun chips and some yogurt covered raisins. He then curled up on my bed where he has not moved in approximately 4.5 hours.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Poor kitty!